Sunday, October 25, 2009

More beans! with cheese, mmm

For the second entry in my beans and rice series, I made a black bean quesadilla.  (Shout out to Kristen, the Queen of Quesadillas!)  But of course it couldn’t be just black beans and cheese; I had to make it fabulous.  So I did.  The recipe follows, and I thought I should divulge the fact that I then made it for the next three days... Once I ran out of mangoes, I used tomatoes.  I could probably happily eat this for several more days if not weeks, but I will restrain myself.


I would also like to make note that the quality of the ingredients you choose truly make the quesadilla.  I used mangoes and avocados so perfectly ripe that I couldn’t help snacking on the “scraps” as I layered everything together.  In the same vein, select a great cheese.  Often you can get much better cheese for your money if you grate it yourself.  It is amazing how much more we pay simply for the convenience of pre-grated, sliced, washed or cut produce!  I actually chose an organic garlic white cheddar which was unbelievably delicious.

Black Bean, Mango & Avocado Quesadillas
Ingredients:
Black Beans
Mango, sliced into thin strips
Avocado, diced
Salt
Cheese, grated
Corn tortillas (2 per quesadilla)

Preparation:
Place one tortilla on a non-stick saucepan.

Spread a layer of grated cheese across the tortilla, followed by a layer of black beans, avocado (lightly salted), mango, and a final layer of cheese.  Top it off with the second tortilla.  Cook on medium heat until the bottom layer of cheese melts (approximately 2 minutes) and flip the quesadilla over using a spatula.  Cook for 2 more minutes.

Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment